LEAD LIKE YOU LEARN
- When presenting to technology to staff, give them time to explore, ask their colleagues questions and work through problems/concerns/issues together to figure it out. Give them the power.
- Used Flipped PD and videos to have staff research to meet their SMART Goals.
Sugata Mitra----Research on Students with Technolgy
- Increased learning takes place when students talk to one another and collaborate at computers.
- Interest----if it's there, kids will learn---need increased engagement
- Staff create top "6-10" (or whatever # you choose) and they identify their top priorities they want to see from/in their students.
- ie: Take Risks, Technological Savvy, Asks Questions, Reads, etc.
- After staff decides, each staff gets to choose a color of T-Shirt and their own logo and the word they choose will be printed on the back of their shirt. This signifies what they feel is important and they will model this character trait.
- At staff meetings, staff will share what they've experienced (either within themselves or seen in their students) that represents their shirt.
- Margaret--- Whole New Mind, Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel Pink
- Noelle: Prezi presentation on Motivation
- Drive by Daniel Pink
- Noelle works @ online school and wants to see ideas for motivation
- traditional motivational methods actually discourage students
- Students need self-direction, mastery and purpose. Students need some ownership over their tasks---give them some control. Students need to feel there's purpose to their work--what's the outcome and why?
- Rewards: Offer praise and feedback rather than things people can spend or touch
- Provide useful feedback rather than giving something to seek/gain control
- Eric: Flipping Technology Forward (Making Tech Resources Work for Teachers and Students
- Bring all on board---create a sense of need
- When presenting to staff, model what you want (look at Eric's presentation---he incorporated video links and articles into his website.
- Rob: Creating a personal device Plan
- Focus on the WHY, not the What
- 36 incidents Rob had to deal with regarding personal devices
- Will have staff put in groups and read articles related to topic. They will then share in groups with others
- Give staff an array of cell phone use policies from all around and see how the research they read applies to policies
- Will bring policy proposal they come up with and agree on it
- Bobby---presented iMovie on the journey and what he's learning in this class and applied it
- Jody: The Power of a Story
- "What's you neighborhood" staff share this
- Everyone has a story and stories are best way to persuade, understand and teach
- Why share stories
- Make sense of information
- how we explore our fears and our future
- where we develop values and community
- a way to change the world
- Digital storytelling allows students to share their stories and put their passions into words, images, voice and sometimes video (iep students, ell, reluctant learners
- Need DAOW for stories to be told (Digital, written, oral and ???)
- CCSS Digital Literacy Demand of Common Core---share with staff
- Cherie-Anne May: Evaluation Walk Throughs
- Walk Thoughs---10 min or less, immediate feedback, useful for those you observe
- Notability---way to take notes
- Use Notability for a Walkthrough Observation
- CHECK this out----want to explore more for walkthroughs
- Becky: Why incorporate tech into lessons? more efficient with your time, increase student achiev, increase student engagement
- Becky A: (InterMountain ESD--ELL)
- Flipped PD
- Google translator for ELL students
- After giving staff time to watch videos, at following PD time, work on how to apply and discuss/follow-up strategies from professional readings and videos
- www.wordsift.com----takes a piece of text and brings out academic language, sort and classify words, etc
- Book Review (Innovation) Adjust and adapt, initiate, analyze, communicate effectively in various ways, imagine, think,
- Passion with Purpose
- Learn to Teach---Want students learn to teach
- IDEA---take videos, pics of what's going on in buildings and show periodically to staff so they can see what's going on in their school community
- Amy---made super cool iMovie about today's education and the future of ed
- Brian---Took a PowerPoint and embedded into an iMovie
- embedded voice over into the movie
- Jared: Website; "Gimp" is a free download for photos/graphic--Jared's graphics on his website were created in Gimp.
- Lisa: Being transparent as a leader about not knowing everything about tech will bridge gap between those who know and use a great deal of tech to those who do not
- Uses music when kids are lining up for bus to reduce disruption (kids can sometimes wait 15-30 min for the bus)